The Trump administration's first charter flight for dozens of "self-deporting" immigrants took off from Houston early Monday, part of a new program offering them a free trip back home and $1,000 — or else.

The self-deportation program was announced in March. Since then, the administration has paid for tickets for some people to return to their home countries on commercial airliners.

For those who are unauthorized and either don't turn themselves in or don't agree to self-deport, the alternative is being detained by immigration officials and held — possibly for months — in overcrowded facilities.

Monday's flight left Houston about 9:30 a.m. and took 65 people from Honduras and Colombia to their respective home countries, according to a Department of Homeland Security official.

"In principle, [self-deporting] could be a very good option for people," said Michelle Brané, former executive director of the Biden administration's Family Reunification Task Force.

But there's a big caveat, she said. The Trump administration's "shock and awe" campaign of immigration enforcement has been effective at scaring people — to the point it may prevent people from using the government-run CBP Home app.

The administration hasn't detailed how and when self-deporters could be able to return to the U.S., and critics are skeptical.

Posted by John3262005

1 Comment

  1. No_Return9449 on

    Headline in a few weeks: “Trump Administration Blocks Payments to Immigrants in Self-Deportation Plan”

Leave A Reply