
The Trump administration’s efforts to halt Harvard University’s ability to enroll international students has sown “profound fear, concern, and confusion,” the university’s director of immigration services said in a court filing on Wednesday.
Countless international students have asked about transferring, the director, Maureen Martin, wrote in the filing. Many others are afraid to go to their own graduations, she said.
A handful of American students have also expressed hesitation about attending a school without international students. And several students claimed to have been hassled at airports because of their Harvard visas, the court filing said.
It was a part of a Harvard lawsuit against the Trump administration in response to its efforts to ban international students at the school. A judge moved last week to temporarily block the government’s move, and the two sides will face off in court on Thursday for the first time.
The Trump administration’s directive, if it were allowed to go into effect, would affect 5,000 Harvard students, along with 2,000 recent graduates participating in a work program called “optional practical training.” The order also affects incoming students.
The Trump administration also asked for extensive information about Harvard’s international students before the Department of Homeland Security, which oversees the entries of international students, announced a ban on their enrollment at the school.
Some foreign competitors are trying to recruit Harvard students, Ms. Martin wrote. She noted the example of Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, which recently said it was offering “streamlined admissions procedures and academic support” for current and incoming Harvard students.
Posted by John3262005
1 Comment
I am curious how many will transfer to other schools in America versus how many will go elsewhere.